1. The Techniques - You Don't Care (1967, Duke Reid). This was the original cut with the You Don't Care rhythm, though this version is a 1975 repress according to RKR. The flip is a version with some lazy dub.
2. Nora Dean - Barbwire (1969, Byron Smith). This rhythm shows up with a few producers, and I wish I knew how (or if) the licensing worked on these. It sounds to me like the rhythm track here may be the exact same as the Duke Reid cut, rather than a rerecorded version. The flip to this "Calypso Mama" by The Barons.
3. Winston Wright - Mesh Wire (1970, Byron Smith). Often, if a rhythm ended up being reused, it would be cut with toasting versions and often organ cuts. Here's the organ driven response to "Barbwire." The flip on this one is "Darling Please Return" by The Barons, a killer rocksteady vocal track.
4. Sir Lord Comic - Jack Of My Trade (1970, Joe Gibbs). This relicensing is definitely a rerecorded rhythm track, and is slowed down. It almost doesn't sound like the same rhythm, but I've seen this on other You Don't Care compilations, and its listed in RKR as on the "You Don't Know" rhythm. The flip on this one is another rocksteady scorcher, "Man Beware" by The Slickers.
5. Dennis Alcapone - El Paso (1970, CS Dodd). Again, this one is another rerecorded take, featuring one of my favorite toasters, Dennis Alcapone. I wouldn't list this among his most captivating cuts, but its still fun to listen to. Unlike the previous two, this one also features the "Oh Mama" calls from the Nora Dean "Barbwire" take. The flip to this is "The Pressure Is On" by The Purpleites.
6. Lloyd Parks - You Don't Care (1972, Tony Robinson). Tony Robinson is another producer that tried his luck on this rhythm with a number of cuts. This one starts as an exact cover of the original Techniques cut, but then deviates into different tune. The flip for both the UK and JA versions are the same version track.
[First image not recorded, it is the JA copy of the UK 7" that was recorded]
7. Ranking Joe - A You Mr. Fennigan (1978, Tony Robinson). In the late 70s, a number of toasters emerged with the "Ranking" appellation, including Ranking Joe & Ranking Trevor among the more popular ones. This take features some vocals from the Lloyd Parks take and the flipside is a lightly dubbed version.
8. Winston Scotland - Buttercup (1972, Tony Robinson). This is another toasted take provided by Tony Robinson. This also features some of the vocals from Lloyd Parks version and was the first 7" I got in my collection on this rhythm. The b-side to this is the next tune, "I Care."
9. Roland Wilson - I Care (1972, Tony Robinson). Where there was toasting in the previous take by Winston Scotland, a trombone (I believe) takes precedence with an entertaining but pretty un-imaginary riff.
Listen & download here:
1. The Techniques - You Don't Care
2. Nora Dean - Barbwire
3. Winston Wright - Mesh Wire
4. Sir Lord Comic - Jack Of My Trade
5. Dennis Alcapone - El Paso
6. Lloyd Parks - You Don't Care
7. Ranking Joe - A You Mr. Fennigan
8. Winston Scotland - Buttercup
9. Roland Wilson - I Care
Or, download a zip set here.